tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 03 11:50:38 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

Fiat Knox ([email protected])

I also recall "pung ghap HoS," "Mercy or power," where "ghap" is "exclusive OR." Mercy and power are mutually incompatible, in this sense.

In my sentence, the sentence-joining "exclusive or" preposition "pagh" was required to convey that same sense of mutual exclusivity. One is either leading, or following me; one cannot just stand there and be in the speaker's way. Well, one could, if one were willing to enjoy getting swiftly knocked down.

To Terrans, this is an admonition not to dither: to Klingons, it would be an instruction to a younger, less experienced warrior as to essential etiquette. As well as a warning not to dither.

Peace,

Alex.

Back to archive top level