tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 03 11:50:38 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?
Fiat Knox (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- From: Fiat Knox <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?
- Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:47:28 +0000 (GMT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1244054848; bh=yvHC/tttj6Ede/JZD7ndSj8tz4fONK/J5XyCvkRnAFU=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=X9SbgPVCl2hm63eA4FMXjkw0e1vwv6F0JvNay6YBFdBcMG2w62Qwbz4/aDQVgBXpLKdCeJ0Zzng2s2nQKve66umXninZ7Pp8LyRsvLnk3SgYGHe03FwHIljAbj1pzXi1FtvnmEQx3M9jXTySMRwIsAwzolTR0dB598lMdeL/b2s=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=DiQmwSb/E1RiH54GC5r7KeqCXps9Arrbe/0FLAIz4TlCnjkuLlUc74ZmgLkCQBEOXRHp7SyfJ9qCT3aWQYuS3BK7OvAloxdkCAd72/PSQ8zAHHMoZV+G1kpwGDUibRfJbAj1MFskPAwexTNEE4jbZr45RYE+fsTaIJMCABVhhxo=;
I also recall "pung ghap HoS," "Mercy or power," where "ghap" is "exclusive OR." Mercy and power are mutually incompatible, in this sense.
In my sentence, the sentence-joining "exclusive or" preposition "pagh" was required to convey that same sense of mutual exclusivity. One is either leading, or following me; one cannot just stand there and be in the speaker's way. Well, one could, if one were willing to enjoy getting swiftly knocked down.
To Terrans, this is an admonition not to dither: to Klingons, it would be an instruction to a younger, less experienced warrior as to essential etiquette. As well as a warning not to dither.