tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 05:06:47 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:01 PM, Doq wrote:

> You are ignoring that {-be'} is a suffix that can be used on verbs
> used as adjectives, as in {cha' yIH lI'be'}.

I don't think he's ignoring it.  It's just irrelevant to the point
he's making.  I think he's reading Okrand's half-literal translation
of the {A Q law'be' B Q puSbe'} as evidence that the {law'} and {puS}
can be treated like any other verb in a regular Klingon sentence.

I accept that as a valid argument, but I do not find it a convincing
one.  Even in this case, the utterance is called a "construction",
not a "sentence".  Its grammar is exceptional.  We cannot confidently
apply to it anything we know about verb suffixes in general.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level