tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 03:17:54 2009

Nova

nahqun ([email protected])

(couldn't think of a better subject line, sorry)

As I understand it, when Chevrolet introduced the Nova back in the day, it sold very well.
They were then surprised when it did not sell as well in Mexico.
It turned out that "No va" in Spanish means "No go".
No one wanted to buy a car that claimed to not function.

So I ask, as Klingon speakers, do you treat any words or brands this way? How has the language influenced you as a consumer?

A rough example would be not purchasing a Saab. (Sab v. decline, deteriorate).

I'll include my own answers and a few more examples later in the week--I don't want to keep anyone from replying by "stealing" their answer.

~naHQun

http://twitter.com/roneyii

Back to archive top level