tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 13:16:34 2009

RE: Snow?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun asks:
>So I know how to use (peD).
>I can say "It's snowing" or "It snowed".

Presumably the verb {peD} works like the verb {SIS} "rain".  FYI for any beginners:

"It rained a few times during the weekend, so we were put into the situation to discuss it. {SIS}. {SISqu'}. {SIStaH}. {SISchoH}. All correct. {SISlu'}, although grammatically correct, he didn't particularly like... You can also give it an object and say things like "the clouds rained down cats and dogs"... or something like that; you get the idea. But when Marc and I went outside and drops of water were falling on us, he looked up and simply said '{SIS}'."
[DloraH, personal conversation with Mark Okrand, May 1998]

>But how do I talk about the white stuff on the ground?

{yavDaq tulu' Hap chIS!  nuq 'oH?}

>What I don't know, is how to talk about snow the noun.

Well, there's the noun {chuch} "ice" and the verbs {bIr} "be cold", {taD} "be frozen", {tet} "melt" and {yIQ} "be wet".

You could try *{chuchHom} but you would have to explain yourself or people might think you're talking about ice cubes.  The only other think I can think of at the moment is {bIQ tet} "frozen water" - but how would that be different from {chuch} "ice"?

An obvious work-around is to describe snow indirectly or allude to it:

  peDtaHmo' Dat chIS yav.

but that doesn't really answer your question.

>(Rain is different as we have a word for water. But the raindrops?)

I imagine it works just like snowflakes.  <g>

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level