tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 16 10:22:36 2009

Re: {-ghach} revisited (yet again!)

> SuStel:
>> So use {-ghach} when you very specifically want to talk about a
>> THING, abstract or otherwise. Where English uses endings to
>> nominalize adjectives, Klingon does not have to nominalize verbs
>> with {-ghach}. (E.g., don't bother talking about "happiness" in
>> Klingon unless you're actually addressing the idea of happiness;
>> stick with "being happy" otherwise.)
>
> Chris's reading of Okrand's interview in HQ 3.3 is a good rule of
> thumb:  Don't put {-ghach} on the bare verb stem.

I was not talking about {Quchghach}; I was using "happiness" to
illustrate a concept, not a translation. I could have said "continued
happiness" instead, but that would have obscured the point by focusing
on a translation instead of a concept.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/