tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 15 14:46:26 2009

Re: {-ghach} revisited (yet again!)

On 12/15/2009 4:58 PM, Christopher Doty wrote:
> I suppose I meant more that, based on Okrand's description, we ought
> to *expect* words with<-ghach>  to be ubiquitous in Klingon speech,
> not necessarily that they were.

I don't get that impression from the interview, but neither do I get the
impression of not using it unless you're especially skilled. The latter
is merely (good) advice given on this list, because the unskilled
invariably screw up {-ghach}.

I find {-ghach} to be a useful tool, but not ubiquitous. The
verb-dominant nature of Klingon is usually overemphasized on this list
(and used for all sorts of absurd justifications), but there is a grain
of truth to it. Where some languages like English like to convert all
sorts of things into noun phrases, Klingon doesn't seem to have that
tendency. (We have seen titles as verb clauses several times, for instance.)

So use {-ghach} when you very specifically want to talk about a THING,
abstract or otherwise. Where English uses endings to nominalize
adjectives, Klingon does not have to nominalize verbs with {-ghach}.
(E.g., don't bother talking about "happiness" in Klingon unless you're
actually addressing the idea of happiness; stick with "being happy"
otherwise.)

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/