tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 04 07:34:33 2009

RE: Measurments

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
>> Which units of measure do we have exact Terran equivelants for,
>> and what are they?

Voragh:
> The four units of linear measure I know of are:
>  {'uj}       *uj* (unit of measure, about 35 cm.)
>  {'uj'a'}    (unit of measure, about 3.15 m.)
>  {qelI'qam}  *kellicam* (unit of measure roughly equal to 2 km. [STE])
>  {loghqam}   (unit of measure, 1.25 light years)
> Only one unit of volume is known:
>  {tlho'ren}  (unit of volume "in the quart/liter range")
>
>FYI DloraH has a web page comparing {'ujmey} to centimeters and inches:
>   https://65.13.120.12/tlhIngan/cheb-uj.htm

lay'tel SIvten:
>Here are the units I have:
>
>loghqam NWL-main    BoP n   unit of measure, 1.25 lightyears
>qelI'am NWL-main    ?   n   kellicam
>'uj KGT     n   uj (unit of linear measure, about 35 centimeters)
>cheb    NWL19971022     n   unit weight approx. 5 pounds (2.25kg)
>cheb'a' NWL20020312 BoP n   unit weight approx. 45-46.4 pounds
>            (20.4-21.05kg) (9-9.28 {cheb})
>tlho'ren    NWL19971022     n   unit measure approx. one quart/liter
>DarSeq  KGT     n   darsek, unit of currency
>Hogh    TKD2K       n   week (Klingon)
>jar TKD2K       n   month (Klingon)
>DIS TKD2K       n   year (Klingon)

{lup}  second (of time)
{tup}  minute (of time)
{rep}  hour (of time)

>None of the time periods is exactly equivalent to its English gloss.
>I have no value for <qelI'qam> or <DarSeq>.

Don't forget about the undefined {DeQ} "credit" for money.

I'd forgotten about the {cheb}.  It's interesting that just as there's no smaller unit *{'ujHom}, there doesn't seem to be a *{chebHom}, or at least none that we know of.  charghwI' asked Okrand about measurements on the old startrek.klingon list: