tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 08:47:42 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhuH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, May 27, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   tlhuH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be exhilarated, stimulated, invigorated

N.B. slang

KGT 165:  Literally meaning "breathe", this word is used in such
expressions as {jItlhuH} ("I am exhilarated, it's exhilarating to me";
literally, "I breathe"). Perhaps a near equivalent in standard Klingon is
{Sey} ("be excited").

>Synonyms: pIl

{pIl}  "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated"

Cultural notes:

TKW 73:  "Klingons have always considered it truly invigorating to face
danger. As commander Kruge said to Captain Kirk while the Genesis planet on
which they were stranded was quickly falling apart, "Exhilarating, isn't
it?" (ST3)

KGT 192:  Note that for a Klingon warrior, bleeding is an indication of a
particularly exhilarating battle, not a symbol of defeat.

KGT 101f.:  If the patron rejects a dish that the server believes has been
properly remembered, however, the misunderstanding could develop into minor
combat. For most of the other diners in the restaurant, this is regarded as
an exhilarating diversion.

Martok compared getting married to a war breaking out: "A long, grueling,
intoxicating war." (DS9 "Strange Bedfellows")

>Homonyms:
>     tlhuH (verb) - breathe

Used in canon:

   Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'
   If a warrior does not fight, he does not breathe. TKW

   jItlhuH
   I breathe. KGT

HQ 12.4 p.8:  Air, for example, comes into and out of the nose or mouth.
The word for "breath" is {tlhuH}, and that for "breathe" is also {tlhuH}.
To breathe in, or "inhale", is {pur}; to breathe out, or "exhale", is
{rech}. To breathe noisily, or "wheeze", is {jev}. [...] To breathe even
more noisily, or "snore", is {wuD}.

Related verbs:

{Hob} yawn, {ruq} belch, {tlhov} wheeze, {chuy} sneeze, {largh} smell,
sense odors

>     tlhuH (noun) - breath

Related nouns:

{muD} atmosphere, {SuS} wind, {SIp} gas