tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 07 14:20:56 2008

Re: "Numeric" nouns?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:

> >Another example is {loSpev} "quadrotriticale".
> >
> >Interesting that they're both "scientific" sounding names.  Interesting too
> >that the other (second) morpheme in these - *{puj} (some sort of mineral?)
> >and *{pev} (lobe [of grain]?) - are unattested separately as nouns, though

lay'tel SIvten:
>{loSpev} and {cha'puj} are only "scientific"-sounding nouns in English.  They
>sound pretty ordinary to me in Klingon.

Well, "scientific" in the sense that scientists freely coin expressions
that combine numbers and nouns:  e.g. dilithium, quadrotriticale,
percentage, etc.  The existence of *{cha'puj}, {loSpev} and {vatlhvI'} is a
hint that something similar may occur in Klingon.  Would *{cha'Hov} or
*{cha'Hovghom} be an accepted neologism for "binary star" or at least
understandable?

For example, how would a Klingon science officer refer to quintotriticale,
mentioned in the animated episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles"?  (Even if
it's a completely unknown grain to Klingons, he has to call it something in
his report to his captain.)  *{vaghpev} perhaps?  See the WikiPedia article
on Triticale:

   Triticale in fiction

   The popular TV series Star Trek and more specifically the episode "The
   Trouble with Tribbles" revolved around the protection of a grain developed
   from triticale, i.e. 'quadrotriticale'. A later episode (in the animated
   series) dealt with 'quintotriticale'. These two grains exist only in the
   realm of Star Trek. In addition, the video game Metroid Prime makes referral
   to 'deca-triticale'. (There is an inexplicit link within these names to the
   crops ploidy level, i.e. a specific characteristic of the genome.)
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrotriticale>

Deca-triticale though has me stumped.  *{wa'maHpev}?  Is *{maHpev}
possible?  We know that {vatlh} "hundred" can occur separately - e.g.
{vatlh DIS poH} "century" - and {vatlhvI'} "percent" *may* indicate it can
form compound nouns: {vatlh} + {vI'} "decimal point".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level