tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 01 09:15:25 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nech (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > What I was thinking was a motion which ghunchu'wI' himself mentioned
> > in an old post about the wing baffles {tel vID'Irmey} on the BoP
> > Poster:  "They're specifically the multiple interleaved 'plates' at
> > the hinged area which slide past one another as the wing changes
> > orientation between attack, cruise, and landing configuration."

ghunchu'wI':
>{nech} "be lateral" is about direction.

It's also glossed "move laterally" in TKD so it describes movement as well
as location ("be lateral").

>You seem to want a word for the *manner* of motion.

Or at least movement vs. location.  For example we have the verbs of motion
{pum} "fall", {ghIr} "descend" and {Sal} "ascend" versus the verbs of
location/orientation {chong} "be vertical", {yoy} "be upside down" and
{taH} "be at a negative angle".

>{nech} is totally the wrong direction for the wing baffles anyway.
>Both {chong} "be vertical" and {Don} "be parallel" describe them better.

If I remember the poster correctly, {ghIr} "descend" and {Sal} "ascend"
would describe the movement of the wings:  e.g. {SaqmeH Sal toQDuj telmey;
HIvmeH ghIr telmey}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons