tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 18:01:30 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: nagh DIr (noun)

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jun 9, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> After the spirit has departed the body {porgh}, Klingon warriors
> consider
> the corpse {lom} to be only an "empty shell" - {nagh DIr chIm}? -
> to be
> disposed of accordingly.

No way.  The English "shell" here has absolutely nothing to do with
the Klingon {nagh DIr}.  Korris could as easily have used the phrase
"empty husk", and {yub} would have been just as inappropriate a
Klingon term.

I think {ngaSwI' chIm} "empty container" is a reasonable literal
rendition. I'm feeling a little playful at the moment, so I'll also
suggest {qegh chIm} and see how many people get the joke.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level