tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 09:32:35 2008

RE: "Update"

Fiat Knox ([email protected])

I just considered putting forward the case for

notlhHa'choHmoH
(cause a change in the thing such that it ceases to be
obsolete),

the usual meaning behind "update" in the sense of an update
to, say, anti-virus software, where the update is applied
to something to allow it to continue functioning at the
accustomed level of efficiency.

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fiat Knox:
> >> chay' tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'bogh tera'ngan mu' "update
> (v)"
> >> ja'lu'?
> >>
> >> chaq "chu'qa'choHmoHlu'" mu' lo'lu'? mu' vIchIl.
>
> DloraH:
> > -qa' and -choH are both type-3 verb suffixes.
> > A word can have only one suffix from each suffix type.
>
> Fiat Knox was on the right track, he just needs to
> substitute the Type 4 suffix {-moH} (cause) for {-choH}
> (change in state):  *{chu'(qa')moH} "make new (again)",
> i.e. "renovate" or "modernize".
>
> > Along with ter'eS suggestion, we also have the verbs
> /choH/ "change", and
> > /Dub/ "improve".
>
> WRT upgrading hardware or technology, a better word is
> {rach}:
>
>   The verb {rach} has been translated variously as
> "invigorate", "fortify",
>   and "strengthen" ... When used in reference to a
> person, the verb {rach}
>   suggests an improvement in health; when used in
> reference to an inanimate
>   object, say, a mechanical device or the hull of a ship,
> {rach} also
>   implies improvement or betterment.  {rach} is to be
> distinguished from
>   {tI'} "repair" in two ways:  (1) {tI'} is generally not
> applied to living
>   beings;  (2) {tI'} suggests restoration to a previous
> state, not
>   necessarily improvement.  {rach} is also to be
> distinguished from {Dub}
>   "improve", which seems to be used primarily when what
> is being enhanced
>   is of a more abstract nature (as when one improves or
> increases one's
>   status, skill, understanding, etc.).
> [st.klingon 10/20/98]
>

> There are no example sentences with {rach} in canon, but
> we do have two for {Dub}:
>
> SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
> ghurmoH naQvam
> This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase
> the effective range for distance targeting. (S14)
>
> DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH
> DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
> The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are
> constantly seeking a higher standing for the House of
> Duras within the Klingon High Council. (S26)
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Peace,

Alex.

"Oh, I love it when they /ask/ me to corrupt them ..." - Me, talking to Nai, Mar 01 2008

"You people and your quaint little categories." - Captain Jack Harkness, Torchwood

"We're grown ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means." - Randall Munroe, http://xkcd.com

Conquer the Universe with me! See how at http://fiat-knox.livejournal.com

We are now leaving the Kingdom of Star Trek and entering normal space.

Not happy with your email address?.