tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 28 16:35:01 2007

Re: grammar question: verbs used adjectivally

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' mI'qey, ja':
>The way I read TKD, verbs used adjectivally can't
>carry any suffix other than a rover (e.g., {qu'})
>and/or a type 5 suffix transferred from the noun {e.g.
>{vaD}).  Is this correct?

Yes, that seems to be correct. Here's the relevant citation from TKD:

"If a Type 5 noun suffix is used (section 3.3.5), it follows the verb, which, when used to modify the noun in this way, can have no other suffix except the rover {-qu'} "emphatic". The Type 5 noun suffix follows {-qu'.}" (TKD p.50)

That leaves very little room for misinterpretation (although since then, I seem to recall we've had canon that apparently allows {-Ha'} and maybe {-be'} on verbs acting adjectivally, although I can't for the life of me remember what that canon is). Obviously you're right in that allowing adjectival verbs to take other suffixes would vastly increase the range of meanings we can express (e.g. *{Qagh napba'} "an obviously simple mistake"), but relative clauses can usually handle this just as well: {napba'bogh Qagh} "a mistake which is obviously simple".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Live Earth ‘07 updates, artist info & concert streams!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=790&referral=windowslivehotmailtagline&URL=http://liveearth.ninemsn.com.au

Back to archive top level