tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 27 06:22:58 2007

Re: puchpa'?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' mI'qey, ja':
>Actually "washroom" is the exact word used by TKD to translate
>{puchpa'}.

wa' DoS wIqIp jIH Qov je. vuDwIj vImuch: {puchpa'} mughDI' Okrand, mISbe'moHmeH "washroom" lo'. chIch Doch 'oSbogh "toilet" pa' 'oSbogh "toilet" je chevchu' 'e' vIHar. (jIHvaD Daj: chay' DIvI' Hol mu' "washroom" DaDel? nIb'a' 'oH "bathroom" je? U.S. Hol vIyajchu'chugh, Say''eghmoHmeH 'Ib neH ngaSbogh pa''e' 'ej puch Hutlhbogh 'oSbe' "washroom". qar'a'?)

I agree completely with Qov. It's my opinion that Okrand glossed {puchpa'} as "washroom" in order to clearly disambiguate between the use of "toilet" as a room and "toilet" as an appliance. (Out of interest, would you mind describing, for the benefit of my Australian English, how you define a "washroom"? Is it the same thing as a bathroom? From what I understand of U.S. English, the term "washroom" wouldn't usually be used to describe a room containing only a bath and no toilet; such a room would be pretty much exclusively called a "bathroom". Is this the case?)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

WIN new Jeep Compass & Off-Road Adventure with Trading Post!

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpostcompetition%2Ecom%2Eau%2FOffRoadAdventure%2F%3Freferrer%3Dplace83&_t=763756818&_r=hotmail_email_tagline_July07&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level