tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 18 21:12:01 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

ja' QeS 'utlh:

> In truth, it isn't the grammatical subject. It's the semantic
> subject, but not the grammatical one.

Grammar is what lets semantic roles be expressed in a comprehensible
sentence.  If it's the subject, it should be marked as the subject.
In Klingon, that's done by putting it after the verb.  If you're not
going to use grammatical cues to identify something as the subject,
people aren't going to have any way of knowing you intend it to be
the subject.

> It's tautological to suggest that subjects wouldn't be fronted
> because they come after the verb, unless you're suggesting that the
> verb represents a major syntactic division in the sentence across
> which words can't move - that there's a preverbal, a verbal, and a
> postverbal (= subject) unit in Klingon grammar, through which words
> don't migrate. Is that what you mean?

I'm not "suggesting" that the basic structure of a Klingon sentence
is OBJECT-VERB-SUBJECT.  I'm treating it as a solid definition.  It's
the very first rule of Klingon syntax given in The Klingon Dictionary
(Section 6.1).  Aside from the explicitly exceptional ritual toasts
having -jaj at the end, I really don't see any room for disagreement
on the subject (pun intended).

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level