tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 13 13:39:18 2007

Re: headquarters

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

po'mIn:
 >>    Dogbert: "That's the entrance to the executive suite.
 >>      [...]
 >>    vu'wI'mey pa' 'elmeH vaS 'oH.
 >>    It is the hall to enter the room of managers.

Voragh:
> >Another option for headquarters is {waw'} "base (military term)"  {malja'
> >waw'}. E.g.
> >
> >    pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'.  tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
> >    This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of the
> >    Klingon government. S27

'ISqu':
>ST5Daq  mu'mey {yo'SeH yaHnIv} lulo'lu'. "Operations Command" lu'oS.
>"headquarters" lu'oSlaH'a' je?

majQa'!  Some of the Klingon lines from scenes in an earlier draft of the
ST5 script missing from the final cut (but included in the novelization)
were published in HolQeD 8.4:12-13.  This is the line in question:

   HoD, yo' SeHyaH nIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.
   Captain, we are receiving a priority message from [Fleet] Operations
   Command. (ST5 notes)

This may be under the direct authority of the {ra'ghomquv}:

   Within the Klingon Defense Force ({tlhIngan Hubbeq}), which includes
   the entire Klingon military apparatus, the highest officers tend to
   be members of influential houses, particularly the members of the
   ultimate military authority, the High Command ({ra'ghomquv}). (KGT 38)

The {ra'ghomquv} is no doubt a committee or body which Terrans usually call
a General Staff (in the U.S. we call ours the Joint Chiefs of
Staff).  Perhaps {SeHyaH} is something like "command center" and {SeHyaH
nIv} "headquarters (i.e. the one in charge of the others)".  I would guess
this refers to an actual place, littered with maps and tactical displays,
where the day-to-day planning of the fleet operations takes place and where
orders for individual ships are cut -- i.e. the Klingon equivalent to
Starfleet Command.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons