tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 08:27:30 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: SopwI'pa' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, October 25, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   SopwI'pa'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     mess hall

Mentioned by Okrand:

   A leg served as food at a banquet in an upper-class household, however,
   is likely to be called a {HajDob}, an old word for "limb". In another
   context, such as a meal with warriors in a ship's {SopwI'pa'} (mess hall),
   only the term {gham} will be heard.   [KGT 42]

When I was in the Navy, I never heard anyone aboard ship call this the
"mess hall" (that would be a building ashore), but rather the mess
decks.  The officers' {SopwI'pa'} is called the wardroom.

Note two other words:  {SopmeH pa'} and {'uQ pa'}:

   [{SopmeH pa'}] (literally "room in order to eat" or "room for eating",
   from {Sop} "eat" plus {-meH} "in order to") is a reasonable way to say
   "eating room" or "dining room". I also don't think Klingons, not being
   prone to stand on ceremony where eating is concerned, would object to
   eating breakfast in something called a {'uQ pa'} "dinner room", a common-
   type noun-noun construction.  [st.klingon June 1997]

Related nouns:

{Qe'} restaurant

--
Voragh