tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 21 07:02:41 2007

Re: qechmey

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 01:00 AM 10/21/2007, you wrote:
>Someone suggested translating "I have dysentery" using {ghaj}. My
>understanding is that {ghaj} indicates possession or ownership and so would
>probably not apply to a disease. Could you use {ngej} "infect" - {pom
>vIngej} "I am infected with dysentery"; or perhaps {mungej pom} "Dysentery
>infects me"?

That's how I usually write it. or pommo' bech: "suffers from
dysentry". (I've used it in fiction and hyperbole). I agree that
using ghaj is assuming an English idiom translates.

>  On another issue, how do you use {chang'eng}? Would "pair of shoes" be
>rendered "shoes' pair" and so {chang'eng waqmey}?

I'd understand that, but I've no idea how it's supposed to be used.
Voragh Sa' may provide the answer.

Back to archive top level