tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 07:38:14 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: rIHwI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, October 15, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   rIHwI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     energizer

Never used in canon.

This may be a control component of impulse engines.  In ST2 while still
inside the Terran system, Kirk ordered "Energizers off!" and the Enterprise
came to an apparent halt.  Kirk then ordered the warp drive engaged.

{rIHwI'} is the nomen agentis of {rIH} "energize" (i.e. "power up"?).  The
Enterprise's warp engines were "re-calibrated and re-energized" in TOS
"Tomorrow is Yesterday".

Related verbs:

{laQ} "fire/energize (e.g. thrusters)"; {chu'} "activate"; {Huj} charge
(up)?; {tlhuD} "emit (energy, radiation)".

(I'm not certain whether {Huj} refers to charging WRT power/electricity -
it's never been used in canon nor does it appear as an element in any other
word.  However, we do have {yov} "charge (mil.)" for the military sense of
attacking violently while advancing quickly as well as {HIv} "attack/assault".)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level