tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 01 07:42:49 2007

Re: vocabulary question (nitpicking)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
>nuq 'oS *QIch*?
>What does QIch mean?
>
>It's translation is "speech", and we also have speech as "lecture,
>address" which is SoQ.

lay'tel SIvten:
>TKD has this definition:
>QIch - speech (vocal sounds) (n)

Jonathan Webley:
>{QIch} is "speech (vocal sounds)".
>
>IMHO, the gloss implies that it refers to the ability to speak; as sight is
>the ability to see.
>     Humans have speech. Plants are mute.
>     Humans have sight. Plants are blind.

Quvar:
>Is now {QIch} also a "speech" something spoken by a person at a wedding,
>for instance, or is this word used linguistically, i.e. the way to
>prounounce things?

Jonathan:
>Whereas, {SoQ} is an oration made by somebody at a lecture or qep'a'.

QeS:
> >or is this word used linguistically, i.e. the way to prounounce
> >things?
>
>Yes, I think that's the intended meaning. As in, for instance, {qar
>tlhIngan Hol QIchDaj} "he speaks Klingon accurately" (literally, "his
>Klingon speech is accurate").

Many people have used {QIch} for "pronunciation, accent, diction, etc." on
the mailing list.

Quvar:
>A conon phrase would help a lot already!

   SoQ Dajatlh
   you speak an address/lecture
   (or, "you deliver an address" or "you make a speech") (st.klingon 6/97)

   qama'pu'vaD SoQ Dajatlh
   you make a speech to the prisoners. (st.klingon BBS 6/97)

Okrand has discussed how to refer to the various parts of a {SoQ} "speech,
lecture, address":

"For an opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its
{bertlham}. This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical
portion in an opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story
or an address. The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known
itself, as is its beginning ({bI'reS})." (HQ 12.2:8-9)

AFAIK there are no examples of {QIch} "speech (i.e. vocal sounds)" in
canon, but Okrand has discussed the subject in English:

"In particular, the spelling conventions used for Klingon words are
explained there [i.e. TKD], as are descriptions of Klingon sounds." (KGT 5)

"Some of the differences in Klingon speech are relatively trivial: rate or
cadence of speech, for example, or a slight difference in the pronunciation
of a specific sound." (KGT 7)

"This is, of course, the case when two people are speaking two different
languages--with utterly different sounds, grammar, and vocabulary--each
unknown to the other speaker." (KGT 8)

"Mispronunciation may turn dangerous, on the other hand, if one Klingon
sound is substituted for another." (KGT 188)

"Those in the Krotmag ({Qotmagh}) region, for example, have characteristic
ways of pronouncing the sounds {b} and {D}, as well as the vowels." (KGT 18)

Cf. the general nouns {ghogh} "voice":

   'IwlIj ghogh yIQoy
   Listen to the voice of your blood. TKW

and {wab} "sound, noise":

   'arlogh wab Qoylu'pu'?
   How many times has someone heard the sound?
   How many times has the sound been heard? (st.klingon 2/99)

Cf. also the verb {chuS} "be noisy" (no examples in canon).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level