tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 12:32:45 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: DIvI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, November 19, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   DIvI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     federation, organization

Used in canon:

   Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq
   Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos. PK

   He chu' ghoS. DIvI' neHmaH
   New course. Federation neutral zone. ST3

   qa'vam jan SeH DIvI'.
   [The Federation controls the Genesis Device.] (ST3 DVD case)

   vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'
   That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. ST5

   reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
   I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship.  ST5

   DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
   We've just received an encoded message on the Federation frequency. (ST5
notes)

   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang
ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
   A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in
the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

   DIvI' tamey ngo'
   Federation Archives STC

   jagh HIvrup SuvwI' Haqpa' DIvI' qeSwI'
   The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation
advisor intervened.
   [SLANG lit. "the implication is that the advice was unnecessary,
counterproductive, or both." (KGT 151)]

   SaS DIvI' HoD
   The Federation captain is shallow.
   (SLANG lit. "The Federation captain is horizontal") KGT

>Additional Notes:
> From "Okrand's Notes," HolQeD 4:4 p. 11.  "Also 'association,' 'leage,'
> 'union.'"

Related nouns:

{DIvI' 'ejDo'} "USS" (registry prefix; lit. "Federation starship")

{DIvI' Hol}  "Federation Standard"

{DIvI'may'Duj}  "Federation battle cruiser"

{yuQjIjDIvI'} = {yuQjIjQa'}  "United Federation of Planets"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level