tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 01 07:29:36 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: yan (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

[Okrand] writes:
> > ... in addition to saying {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth"),
> > one could say {betleH raQ} ("He/she controls a bat'leth"). [KGT 79]

Quvar:
>Am I missing the difference, or is this just one of Marc Okrand's mistakes?
>    TKD: ruQ v. control manually, by hand
>    KGT: raQ v. manipulate by hand, handle

Probably.  AFAIK {ruQ} has never been used in canon, but {raQ} has been
discussed with examples in KGT:

   The closest to a general term in this realm may be the verb {raQ},
   which means "manipulate by hand, handle". It can be applied to
   carving, sculpting, metalworking, and the like but is really much
   less specific, referring to activities that involve having some
   control over some object. For example, in addition to saying
   {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth"), one could say {betleH
   raQ} ("He/she controls a bat'leth"). By extension, the term {raQ}
   is also used when referring to controlling a space vessel "manually"
   (that is, when the controls are manipulated directly by a person
   rather than a computer):  {Duj raQ} ("He/she controls the ship
   manually").   [KGT 79]

I would just use {raQ} until we get more guidance from Maltz.

WRT controlling space- or aircraft:

   Maltz thought that the best word for "operate (an aircraft)" was
   {'or} ... In general, {'or} would not be used to refer to the
   activities of the captain of a spacecraft, or even those of its
   helmsman, but Maltz said it could be used for the controlling of
   a shuttlecraft. He was comfortable translating {'or} as "pilot"
   (the verb)...   [HQ 11.2]

Cf. also the general verb {SeH} "control":

   vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
   [Transfer] All weapons to my control. (Clipped) ST5

which also appears as an element in the nouns {SeHlaw} "control panel,
console" and {SeHwI'} "controller" (device; KBoP).

Voragh:
> > Some of the huge statues in the {Subpu' vaS} (Hall of Heroes)

Quvar:
>Is this a canon expression?

Yes, it is:

   One of the most highly developed of the Klingon arts is sculpture.
   A statue of any kind, realistic or abstract, is a {Hew}. Realistic
   statues are found in public spaces, most notably the Hall of Heroes
   ({Subpu' vaS}), which features likenesses of famous Klingon
   warriors."  [KGT 79]

FYI:  A photo of Gowron standing in front of two of the huge statues in the
{Subpu' vaS} can be seen in KGT (p.98).  First seen in DS9 "Apocalypse
Rising".

Quvar:
> > at Ty'Gokor were holding straight swords;
>
>But this is canon:-)
>     tay'ghoqor s. Ty'Gokor (DI)

"A planet where the induction into the Order of the Bat'leth [{betleH
'obe'}] takes place." (DI)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons