tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 31 07:35:27 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: lopno' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, May 31, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:      lopno'
>Part of Speech:    noun
>Definition:        party, celebration
>Additional Notes:  HolQeD 5:1 p. 20, from the KCD.

The only example of a {lopno'} that we have is the one on KCD held to
celebrate Pok's {nentay} (Rite of Ascension) and it is full of references
to family traditions and ancestry. The Language Lab gives the meaning as
"party" with no additional information and shows a group of Klingons
gathered around a table with food and {cha'nob} gifts. However, in the
Immersion Studies Vok says, "The celebration was declared a {lopno'}. You
have invited all the spirits of our Klingon ancestors." It is an "open
house" celebration held on the eve of a young Klingon's {nentay}, hosted by
the father of the {lopwI'}. "Open house" means any Klingon warrior is
welcome and no harm can come to them, even if they are enemies, while in
your home. The mother's duty is to welcome the guests, who bring {cha'nob}
gifts. You have the choice of honoring the guest by accepting his gift
or... not! (KCD)

In the KCD novelization, this exchange occurs during Pok's {lopno'} when
Vok, an enemy of the House of SepIch (Pok's clan), arrives unexpectedly (p.
23f.):

      Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face, [K'Tar (Pok's
    mother)] said, "Throw this {veQ} out."
      Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the unwanted guest.
      "{bIyem'a'!}" Vok said.
      Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok...
      "The celebration," Vok said, "was declared a *lop'no*. You have invited
    the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates that all are
    welcome to the *lop 'no*. Even ancient rivals. Even me, K'Tar."
      "{Chut Quj}," K'Tar said.
      "{Luq ratlh}," Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok.

"such a celebration may or may not be declared a {lopno'} (otherwise, why
would Vok have to point that out to K'Tar?). Perhaps Pok's {nentay} could
have remained a private matter, for the House of Sepich only. Then it would
not be called a {lopno'}. However, I doubt the honor would have been as
great, given that Torghn wanted to show off his son, whose hunting skills
were so renowned. Besides, I'm sure a little strife is welcome at all
Klingon ceremonies..." (SuStel)

"I think that at one point in [the novel] reference is made to someone
remembering 'his own {lopno'}' (which they spelled *lop 'no*). This would
imply that it's specifically the party associated with a child's coming of
age and becoming a warrior, in context." (Seqram)

"I think {lopno'} may have an emic significance of 'celebration of
ancestors' and be a specific type of party held in conjunction with the
{nentay} and possibly with other rites of passage. I think it might not
make sense to talk about a Christmas {lopno'} or an informal dinner
{lopno'}." ([email protected])

Related nouns:

   {yupma'} festival

   {lopwI'} initiate (i.e. "celebrant")

   {lop} celebration (e.g. {QI'lop} is the holiday honoring the Klingon
military {QI'})

   {tay} ceremony, rite, ritual

   {no'}  ancestors (plural)

   {cha'nob} ritual gifts (given at a {lopno'}).  "Although grammar tells
us that the number is unspecified, to bring only a single gift would be a
horrendous insult." (Okrand, KCD)

Related verbs:

   {lop}  observe, celebrate (a ritual)

--