tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 22 07:25:55 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: na' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, May 22, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   na'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be sure, definite, positive, certain (slang)
>Synonyms:       bej

   The word {na'} literally means "be salty", but its slang usage is probably
   influenced by the noun suffix {-na'} ("definite"), which is used when the
   speaker wants to indicate that he or she is absolutely sure about what is
   being said (compare {maghwI'} "traitor", and {maghwI'na'} "definite traitor,
   without a doubt a traitor"). The slang word, a verb, is used in such con-
   structions as {jIna'} ("I am positive [about something I just said]"; lit-
   erally, "I am salty"] and {bIna''a'} ("Are you sure?"; literally, "Are you
   salty?"). These kinds of meanings may be expressed without using slang by
   employing such verbs as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or {Sovbej} ("know for
   certain). See also {bej}, a slang term with similar meaning.  (KGT 156-57)

>Synonyms:       bej

i.e. "be sure, be definite, be positive, be certain" (slang) KGT

   The verb {bej} literally means "watch", though its slang usage is probably
   influenced by the verb suffix {-bej} ("certainly, undoubtedly"; compare
   {voq}, "trust", and {voqbej}, "certainly trust"). It is used in such forms
   as {jIbej} ("I am positive [about something I just said]"--literally, "I
   watch") or {bIbej'a'?} ("Are you sure?"--literally, "Do you watch?"). Unlike
   the verb {na'} ("be salty"), which has an identical slang meaning (see
below),
   the verb {bej} may be used when there is an object: {HIvrup 'e' vIbej} ("I
   am positive they're ready to attack"; literally, "I watch that they're ready
   to attack"). The notions expressed by {bej} can be conveyed without slang
   with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or by making use of the verb
suffix
   {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej} ("They're certainly ready to attack").   (KGT 145)

Related nouns:

{DIch} "certainty"

>Homonyms:
>     na' (verb) - be salty, brackish (slang)

{bIQ na'} "brackish water" KGT

Culinary notes:

   Klingon food also frequently tastes {wIb} ("sour, bitter") or {na'} ("salty,
   brackish").  (KGT 85)

   The usual Federation Standard translations of the primary tastes ("pungent,
   sour, salty") are a little deceptive. From the Klingon point of view, it is
   not accurate to say that a particular food is sour; rather, it tastes and
   smells sour. That is, sourness is not an intrinsic quality of the food; it
   is a perception, the effect the food has upon the senses of smell and taste,
   the Klingon sense of smell being particularly highly developed. Translations
   such as "sour-inducing" ({Soj wIb}, "sour-inducing food"; {na' Soj}, "The
   food induces saltiness") would perhaps be closer to the feeling of the
Klingon,
   but they are a bit clumsy.  (KGT 85-86)

   When the food arrives, it should be eaten as is; nothing equivalent to a
   saltshaker will be found on a Klingon dining table.      (KGT 100)

   Often, however, there is no {Qenvob} [ground-up, dried-up mixture for
brewing
   tea]; the tea is made by simply picking thorns, leaves, petals, or seeds off
   of a plant and immediately immersing them in the water. Usually brackish
   water ({bIQ na'}) is best.   (KGT 96)

Pun:

Natrium (chemical symbol: Na).  Common salt is sodium chloride (NaCl).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level