tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 07:12:06 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: net (pronoun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, May 9, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   net
>Part of Speech: pronoun
>Definition:     that (previous topic)
>
>Additional Notes:
>TKD p. 65: Klingon has two special pronouns, {'e'} and {net}, which refer
>to the previous sentence as a whole.  They are used primarily, though not
>exclusively, with verbs of thinking or observation (such as 'know,'
>'see').  They are always treated as the object of the verb, and the verb
>always takes a prefix indicating a third-person singular object.

TKD p. 65 (continues): What is a single sentence in English is often two
sentences in Klingon. net is used only under special circumstances, but 'e'
is common... In complex sentences of this type, the second verb never takes
an aspect suffix. (section 4.2.7)

>TKD p. 66: When the verb of the second sentence has a third-person subject
>(that is, the pronominal prefix is 0) but the intended meaning is 'one' or
>'someone,' rather than 'he, she, it' or 'they,' {net} is used instead of {'e'}.

TKD p. 66 (continues with examples):

  qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov
  One knows we kill prisoners...

the first sentence here is {qama'pu' DIHoH} "We kill prisoners". The second
sentence is {net Sov} "One knows that". The full construction implies that
it is common knowledge that the group to which the speaker belongs kills
prisoners.

   Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
   One certainly finds it useful for the mission.

The first part of this example is {Qu'vaD lI'} "It is useful for the
mission". The second part is {net tu'bej} "One certainly finds that" or
"One certainly observes that". The full construction might also be
translated "One will certainly observe that it is useful to the mission".
Note that although the word "will" makes a more flowing translation, there
is nothing in the Klingon sentence indicating future tense.

TKD p. 66-67:  When the verb of the second sentence is {neH} "want",
neither {'e'} nor {net} is used, but the construction is otherwise
identical to that just described.  {jIQong vIneH} "I want to sleep."

TKD p. 67:  Similarly, with verbs of saying ("say, tell, ask", etc.), {'e'}
and {net} are not used. The two phrases simply follow one another, in
either order:  {qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'} or {HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'} "I told you not
to interrupt me". This is literally, "I told you, 'Don't interrupt me!'" or
"'Don't interrupt me!' I told you." ... An aspect marker (here, {-pu'}
"perfective") may always be attached to the verb of saying, regardless of
whether it is the first or second verb.

Used in canon:

   Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
   You will find it useful. ST3

   vImuHlu' net wuqHa'
   My death sentence was commuted! (ENT "Affliction")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level