tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 30 07:10:22 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: chegh (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, March 30, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   chegh
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     return

Used in canon:

   ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh?
   When can I return to my room? CK

   DaH machegh
   [We're returning now. (untranslated)] ST6

   wa'leS jIchegh
   Tomorrow I will return. KGT

   jol Quv yIchegh
   Return to the transport site. (ENT "Affliction")

>Additional Notes:
>News: The direct object is the place returned to.

Okrand explained {chegh} on st.klingon (July 1999):

   {chegh} "return" seems to work like this:

     lupDujHomDaq jIchegh
     "I return on the shuttle."

     lupDujHom vIchegh
     "I return to the shuttle."

     lupDujHomDaq may'Duj vIchegh
     "I return to the battle cruiser on the shuttle"

     tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh
     "I return to Kronos from Earth"

   Note that {chegh} "return" means "return to a place"; the place being
   returned to is the object of the verb. If the place being returned to is
   not mentioned (as in, for example, the first sentence above, "I return on
   the shuttle"), the verb takes a prefix indicating "no object" (here {jI-}).
   If the place being returned to is mentioned (as in the final three
sentences),
   the verb takes a pronominal prefix that indicates the object ({vI-} in the
   examples).
     A different verb, {tatlh}, is used for "return" in the sense of returning
   a library book or returning a weapon to the weapons rack. If someone were to
   say something like "I return the plate to the table," the appropriate verb
   would be {tatlh}:  {raSDaq jengva' vItatlh} ... Though not common, it is
also
   possible to use {tatlh} with the reflexive suffix {-'egh} ("do something to
   oneself") to convey a meaning similar to that of {chegh}:

     pa'Daq jItatlh'egh
     "I return to the room"

   The {tatlh'egh} form seems to suggest that the doer of the action is forcing
   himself/herself to do something, perhaps because it is difficult or not
desirable.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons