tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 23 08:58:37 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: 'or (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, March 23, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   'or
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     pilot, operate (an aircraft)
>Source: HQ (11:2 p8)

Discussed by Okrand:

   Maltz thought that the best word for "operate (an aircraft)" was
   {'or} - so the person who does this would be the {'orwI'}, "one
   who operates (an aircraft)". In general, {'or} would not be used
   to refer to the activities of the captain of a spacecraft, or
   even those of its helmsman, but Maltz said it could be used for
   the controlling of a shuttlecraft. He was comfortable translating
   {'or} as "pilot" (the verb) and {'orwI'} as "pilot" (the noun).
   (HQ 11.2:8)

Related verbs:

   By extension, the term {raQ} is also used when referring to
   controlling a space vessel "manually" (that is, when the controls
   are manipulated directly by a person rather than a computer):
      Duj raQ
      He/she controls the ship manually.               (KGT 79)

Cf. the intransitive verb {puv} "fly" which describes the actions of the
aircraft, space vessel or - I would guess - birds:

   puvtaHbogh Duj ngabmoHlaw' So'wI'
   [a cloaking device] allowing the ship to fly in a state of
    practical invisibility. S33

Cf. also {chIj} navigate; {qaj} soar (birds); {qugh} cruise; {Dav} sway
(aircraft); {Der} yaw (aircraft); {jer} surge (aircraft); {jIm} heave
(aircraft); {lol} be in an attitude (aircraft); {lolmoH} maneuver an
aircraft to be in some attitude or other; {loltaH} maintain an attitude
(aircraft); ron roll (aircraft); {ronmoH} bank, cause to roll (aircraft);
{tor} pitch (aircraft); {taH} be at a negative angle.  E.g.:

   Duj ronmoH 'orwI'
   the pilot banks the vessel (HQ 11.2)

   qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
   I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising) [HQ 11.2]

Related nouns:

{chIjwI'} navigator; {DeghwI'} helmsman

--
Voragh