tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 21 08:03:47 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: tera' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, June 21, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   tera'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     Earth

As used in canon:

   tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh
   I return to Kronos from Earth. (st.klingon 7/99)

   TM, (R) (c) je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures.
   TM, (R) c.1994 Paramount Pictures. (Skybox Copyright)

   tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
    HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
   Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998. STX

   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
   Be the first to journey to the 24th century. STX

Discussed by Okrand:

   Sometimes the Klingon name is simply a rendition of the name used
   by the inhabitants of the planet, such as {tera'} (Earth, Terra)
   ... No one ever says {romuluSya'} (Romulus) or {tera'ya'} (Earth)
   (KGT 141-42)

And someone from {tera'} is, of course, a {tera'ngan} "Terran, Earther":

   tera'ngan jIH
   I'm a Terran. CK

   tera'ngan ghaH
   He/She is a Terran. CK

   tera'ngan SoH'a'
   Are you a Terran? CK

   nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan
   What is your number, Terran? CK

   Sum Daqmeyvam tera'ngan
   These places are nearby, Terran. CK

   yISop, tera'ngan
   Bon appetit, Terran. ["Eat (it), Terran!"] CK

   Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
   Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals. [sic! for {lutIv}] CK

   tera'nganvaD romuluS HIq jabQo'
   They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans. CK

   tera'ngan motlhbe' SoH
   You are an unusual Terran. PK

   quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan
   [You have insulted my honor, Terran.] PK

   toH tera'ngan
   [So, Terran...] PK

   wa' ghaH tera'ngan'e'
   One is a Terran. (ST5 notes)

   ... tlhIngan'e', tera'ngan'e', romuluSngan'e'
   [... a Klingon, a Terran, a Romulan] ST5

   wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan
   A Terran and a Romulan [sic]. ST5

   qIm tera'ngan
   Attention Earther! (KCD bumper sticker)

   tera'ngan ghaH qama''e'
   The prisoner is a Terran.  KGT

   Hoj; tera'ngan rur
   cautious as a Terran  KGT

   raS ngeQ tera'ngan
   The Terran bumps into the table.  KGT

   ngeQchuq tera'nganpu'
   The Terrans collide with each other. KGT

   tera'ngan ngIj
   rowdy Terran  KGT

--
Voragh