tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 14 05:08:14 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: luSpet (noun)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhHa'pu':
> Dajqu'; chenmoHlu' mu'tlheghHomvam, ghIq mu'tlheghHom "black hole"
> chenmoHta'pa' John Wheeler taH wej DIS.

mulughmoH Doq, ja':
>Dajqu'; mu'tlheghHomvam chenmoHlu'.

bIlughchu'. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'. I wasn't thinking too straight with that one, was I?

> ghIq qaS wej DIS. ghIq mu'tlheghHom "black hole" chenmoHta'
> John Wheeler.

Although I may have misplaced the adverb at the start of the subordinate clause rather than at the start of the main clause (perhaps {ghIq taH wej DIS} or, as you suggest, {ghIq qaS wej DIS} - I was trying to avoid the verb {qaS} here, although that may well have been hypercorrection on my part), I see nothing wrong with the meaning "Then three years went by before John Wheeler created the phrase 'black hole'".

jIlughmoH:
{mu'tlheghHomvam chenmoHlu', ghIq qaS wej DIS mu'tlheghHom "black hole" chenmoHta'pa' John Wheeler}.
DuH 'oHba' je mu'tlhegh'e' {mu'tlheghHom "black hole" chenmoHta'pa' John Wheeler ghIq qaS wej DIS}.

Although as ghunchu'wI' points out, I also made an error in thinking that 1964 was the year in which "Tomorrow is Yesterday" was transmitted; in reviewing Voragh's message, he was clearly not referring to the date of broadcast, which ghunchu'wI' notes was at the beginning of 1967. So alter the number to {wa'maH wa' jar} "eleven months", not {wej DIS} "three years".

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh
Explore the seven wonders of the world