tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 13 07:56:53 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: luSpet (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
> > The Enterprise was caught by "a black star of high gravitational
> > attraction" in the area of Starbase 9 near Earth. The "rebound" while
> > pulling free opened a time warp and sent the ship back to 1964. (TOS
> >"Tomorrow is Yesterday")

QeS:
>Dajqu'; chenmoHlu' mu'tlheghHomvam, ghIq mu'tlheghHom "black hole"
>chenmoHta'pa' John Wheeler taH wej DIS.
>
>Notably, this was three years before John Wheeler coined the term "black
>hole". Before that, the generally used term was "frozen star".

pIm'a' <<luSpet>> <<Dejpu'bogh Hov>> je?
Is there any difference between a "black hole" and a "collapsed star"?

I found this in my notes:

"A black hole is an object with a gravitational force so powerful even
light cannot escape. Usually they are formed from A STAR SO BIG THAT IT
COLLAPSED UNDER ITS OWN WEIGHT.  As the star's gasses fall into the black
hole, they released explosive bursts of gamma rays so powerful it could be
seen even after traveling across the universe. It is believed that
super-massive black holes are located at the core of every galaxy.  For
example, the Milky Way galaxy in which our solar system resides has a
dormant super-massive black hole at its center."  [source?]

Cf. also
<http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970501.html>http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970501.html
for an image of the antimatter cloud at the center of the Milky Way.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level