tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 31 20:03:58 2007

Re: Number of Klingon speakers?

ja' maHvatlh:

> Has anyone tried to make a serious attempt at estimating the
> numbers, at any time?

My estimate is this:

A few million know that Klingon exists as a language.
A few hundred thousand have bought a copy of The Klingon Dictionary.
A few tens of thousands think they know a word or two of Klingon.
A few thousand can tell the difference between Klingon and gibberish.
A few hundred can correspond using mostly correct grammar via email.
A few tens can carry on extended face-to-face conversation.
A few could probably survive on Qo'noS with a malfunctioning
universal translator.

ja' lay'tel SIvten:

> I think (but may be wrong) that access to HolQeD is the only perk.

I believe you also get permission to edit the Wiki (making it members-
only was a reluctantly reached decision, but one deemed necessary to
avoid increasing spam) and access to the KLIpIqaDmey fonts.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level