tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 31 07:38:29 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghet (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, July 31, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   ghet
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     pretend
>
>Additional Notes:
>HolQeD 12:3, p. 8.  "Maltz's Reward: Part II."

To wit:

   {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner"
   [...] is used in cases where one misrepresents oneself in order to be
   accorded honor one is not entitled to, and in that way it is different
   from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet} "pretend", neither of which has this
   kind of connection to honor [...] {ghet} and {ghetwI'} "pretender"
   generally do not imply deception, but simply role-playing.

Related verbs:
   {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of"

{ghetwI'} is ideal for someone role-playing in a game or dressed as a
sci-fi character at a convention.  It could even be used for "actor",
although we've been using *{DawI'} (KSRP & TKH) and *{reHwI'} (lit. a
"player") for that.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons