tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 18 14:08:22 2007

Re: Wool? In tlhIngan Hol?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

mIq'ey (McArdle) wrote:
>--- Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> P.S.  Can you indeed insert an adjective into a
> >> noun-noun construction (i.e., can it be treated as a
> >> noun-clause+noun clause construction)?  Could I have
> >> (grammatically) written {... SuvwI' quv Hoch'e' ...}?
> >
> > Yes, [noun+adjective] can be treated as [noun].
> >
> > I don'T know what you try to write above, but it is
> > correct to say {SuvwI' quv} "honored warrior"
> > and then {SuvwI' quv Duj} "honored warrior's ship"
>
>What I was trying to write is "all the honored
>warriors".  I was under the impression that it {Hoch}
>would be used in noun-noun constructions as the second
>of the pair, as if "all of warriors", but I find
>through further Googling that TKW (which, to my shame,
>I don't have) says it comes first.  Also it slipped my
>mind that the verb prefix {vI-} doesn't indicate
>whether the object is singular or plural.  I should
>have written {Hoch SuvwI'pu' quv}.

With {Hoch}, the important distinction is whether the noun it modifies is
singular or plural:

   {Hoch SuvwI'}         "every warrior, each warrior"
   {Hoch SuvwI' quv}     "every/each honored warrior"

   {Hoch SuvwI'pu'}      "all (of) the warriors"
   {Hoch SuvwI'pu' quv}  "all (of) the honored warriors"

>I was led astray, by the way, by the canon sentence
>{tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH},
>translated "it remained in use for most of the 23rd
>century".  What is the grammatical relation between
>{HochHom} and {vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej} if not a
>noun-noun construction "most of century #23"?
>Shouldn't {HochHom}, which is just the diminutive of
>{Hoch}, work grammatically the same way as {Hoch}
>does?  (Yes, I know, languages aren't always logical.)

This example is confusing.  Unfortunately it's our only example of the noun
{HochHom} "most, greater part":

   ... qItI'nga' Duj.  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
   [The] K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century. (S15)

This is an initial time-stamp consisting of a noun + noun "possessive" phrase:

   [tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej] <HochHom> lo'lu'taH
   [Terran century twenty-three]'s <greater part> one-used-it-continuously

Although it's quite long, it's just a variation of the simple example in TKD:

   {nuH} "weapon" and {pegh} "secret" combine to form {nuH pegh}
   "secret of the weapon". An alternate translation would be N1's N2,
   in this case, "the weapon's secret".  (TKD p.31)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level