tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 17 14:53:50 2007

Re: Wool? In tlhIngan Hol?

McArdle ([email protected])

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  I'm glad to know I was
more or less on a reasonable track.

After going back and forth on this for a while, I
think I'll end up using {pob SIrgh}.  The problem with
{Ha'DIbaH SIrgh} is that it's a bit under-specified;
there is, for example, the kind of {Ha'DibaH SIrgh}
used to string violins (catgut), and that's not the
image I want to invoke.  (Although there's an
interesting confluence of themes here.  Okrand
introduces {SIrgh} in the context of stringing musical
instruments, although the string in question is made
from insect silk, not dried intestines.  And it
appears that the major source of catgut is not cats
but sheep, which is right in line with the whole wool
motif.)

So:

      {pob SIrgh Qachbogh tlhIngan SuvwI''e'

      "nguvmoHlu'meH QaQ jajvam"}

qavan 'ej naDev ghombogh SuvwI' Hoch vIvan

: mI'qey (who hasn't figured out yet how to spell his
name)

P.S.  Can you indeed insert an adjective into a
noun-noun construction (i.e., can it be treated as a
noun-clause+noun clause construction)?  Could I have
(grammatically) written {... SuvwI' quv Hoch'e' ...}?

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> mIqey (McArdle) wrote:
> Simplifying this as
> I've suggested gives us"
>
>    Ha'DIbaH SIrgh Qachbogh tlhIngan SuvwI'('e')
>
> or even simpler:
>
>    SIrgh Qachbogh SuvwI'('e')
>
> or simpler still:
>
>    SIrgh SuvwI'
>
> >People might get a kick out of the second line of
> text I plan to use:
> >
> >   {nguvmoHlu'meH QaQ jajvam}
>
> Ha!  A bilingual pun.  Okrand would love it!  <g>
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

http://tv.yahoo.com/