tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 16 19:35:00 2007

Wool? In tlhIngan Hol?

McArdle ([email protected])

SuvwI' quv:

I'm thinking of designing a t-shirt as a gift for my
wife, who is a knitter.  (That's an understatement.
She lives to knit.)  Since she enjoys my forays into
thlIngan Hol almost as much as I do, I want it to be
in Klingon.  I was thinking of something on the order
of "Klingon Wool Warrior".

To take my questions in order:

1) What is the word for "wool" or "yarn"?  I haven't
found anything about either in TKD or KGT, and I
rather doubt that the subject has been addressed in
canon (but would be glad to learn otherwise).  In the
absence of specific words for these, I've contemplated
the following circumlocutions:

for wool:

{veD tun}, if {veD} is broader in application than
English "fur" (which is by definition not wool).

{Ha'DIbaH pob tun}, if {pob} can be applied to the
body hair of an animal as well as to that of a
Klingon.

for yarn:

{veD tun SIrgh}

{Ha'DibaH pub tun SIrgh}

Both of these rely on the ability to stuff an
adjective into the middle of a noun-noun construction.
 If this isn't possible, then I suppose {veD SIrgh
tun} or {Ha'DibaH pub SIrgh tun} would work, although
I imagine yarn to be a "string of soft animal hair"
rather than a "soft string of animal hair" (a
distinction without a difference?).

2) I've been wrestling with what "Wool Warrior"
actually *means*.  It sounds good in English (at least
to me) but its translation into Klingon isn't obvious.
 Is the warrior fighting *against* wool/yarn, *on
behalf* of it, or perhaps *wielding* it as a weapon (I
think most knitters would say that there are times
when they feel like they're doing all three)?  I'm
leaning toward the last interpretation for my
translation, and am casting about for the proper verb.
 KGT translates {Qach} as "wield (a weapon)", but the
examples it gives are specifically things that are
held by a handle and swung (various types of {'obmaQ},
the {'aqleH} and the {jeqqIj}).  The other option I'm
aware of is the relatively colorless {lo'}.

One way I imagine putting this all together is:

{Ha'DIbaH pub [or {veD}] tun Qachbogh [or {lo'bogh}]
tlhIngan SuvwI''e'}

How does this seem?

(BTW, how do people feel about the use of -{'e'} on
{SuvwI'}?  I believe that some source - CK? - has
shown that it's not obligatory.  Would the phrase be
understood without it?)

People might get a kick out of the second line of text
I plan to use:

{nguvmoHlu'meH QaQ jajvam}

Qapla'

mIqey