tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 01 21:53:29 2007

RE: choH'eghlI' JUPITER [corrected]

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Qeb is problematical because Jupiter has Saturn-like rings, as, I believe,
does Uranus. They're not nearly as prominent, but they're there. Anyway, the
choice in English to use "ring" or "belt" or "band" or whatever for this
sort of thing is itself entirely arbitrary, based on what the first
observers of the solar system felt like using. Adapting words to new
meanings happens in any natural language, but if we don't know the history,
we can't know how it happened in tlhIngan Hol.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Robyn Stewart
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: choH'eghlI' JUPITER [corrected]

Remember that "changes its stripes" is from an English idiom about
tigers, so an over-literal translation of the headline is
unnecessary. qogh or Qeb probably work here. I might prefer Qeb to
avoid the ambiguity of qogh.

I might try to play with patlh or tlham . .. I've forgotten the word
for the sash worn to denote status, but you might be able to derive a
pun there.

At 11:24 AM 6/29/2007, you wrote:

>ghor qoghmeyDaj nguv choHlI' JUPITER
>"Jupiter changes its stripes"
>
>http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn12159-jupiter-changes-its-stripes.h
tml

>I'm using {ghor qogh nguv} "tinted surface belt" for "stripe, band".  (A
>belt is after all a narrow band of something that encircles another
>object.)  Another option might be *{Qeb'a'} from {Qeb} "ring (for finger) -
>though this might be more appropriate for, say, Saturn's rings.
>
>*{gho'a'} from {gho} "circle" works for Jupiter's giant red spot: {gho'a'
>Doq}?  {Daq} "site, place, location" or {Sep} "region" might also work.
>
>Other suggestions?
>

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons