tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 21:42:30 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 23, 2007

pm5 ([email protected])

On 1/24/07, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >       {weyvamvaD wIghwIj peghHa'moH SaghoS.}
> >       "I have come to share my genius with this company."

> In addition to {wIgh} "genius", also consider {leSSov} "foresight" and
> {Sov} "knowledge, wisdom [cf. the "Frasier" bar mitzvah speech]".

nuq 'oH <the "Frasier" bar mitzvah speech>'e'?

> The real problem is "share X with Y".  Oddly enough there's no known word
> for "share".  (Must not be a Klingon character trait <g>!)  I'm not sure I
> understand your choice of {peghHa'moH} "cause to not keep a
> secret".  Perhaps a simple {nob} "give" is best.  You also need a link
> between the verbs {SaghoS} and {peghHa'moH}; {-meH} "(in order) to" works

I was trying to use "publicize" to see if it fits.  But it seems more
reasonable used on secrets instead of knowledge.

> >a'Soq: {'e' vIHech je.  'ach naDev 'e' lupar.}
> >Asok:  "Me too.  But they don't like that sort of thing here."
>
> Two {'e'}s in a row feels a little funny (I don't know why).  How about
> substituting a simple {jIH je} for the first?

I can do that? That's great!
Dochvetlh vIlo'laH 'e' Dunchu'.

> >nov:   {<quagmire> 'oH Daqvam 'e'.}
> >alien: "It's a quagmire."
> >
> >I just don't know how to translate "quagmire"...  {puH lo'laHbe'}
> >"worthless land"?
>
> Yes, but it's being used metaphorically here:
>     * A quagmire (from "quake" + "mire") is, literally, shaky, miry ground;
> as a political term used to describe a foreign military campaign in which
> there is either no foreseeable possibility of victory or the objectives are
> unclearly defined, and at the same time no clear exit strategy has been
> formulated in the absence of victory. The military campaign is likened to a
> kind of swamp or marsh in which the warring nation is unable to remove
> itself.

There is an example for troubles, but my copy of TKW is on the way so
I don't know if this refers to the same situation:

    bIQongtaHvIS nItlhejchugh targhmey bIvemDI' nItlhej ghIlab ghewmey.
    "If you sleep with targs, you'll wake up with glob flies." [TKW]

So how about

    naDev mutlhej ghIlab ghewmey.
    "I'm with glob flies here."

pm5