tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 13 12:49:10 2007

Re: Why Do You Study Klingon?

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- "...Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Go ahead and use the language the way you think it
> should be used.
> > If your usage is seen as uniquely effective and
> elegant, others will
> > likely emulate it.  But I strongly believe that
> having the goal of
> > publishing an authoritative decision on a point of
> usage is
> > unreasonably presumptuous.
>
> All I want to do is take some of these questions we
> have and try to see if
> we can't come to some agreement, and then document
> the agreement so we're
> not asking these questions OVER AND OVER AGAIN.  The
> goal is make sure we
> have decent concensus and then document it.

Even that won't do any good. Have you ever seen my
Klingon Grammar Addendum
(http://teresh.tdonnelly.org/kliaddi.html) which
attempted to do exactly that?
It was pretty well received initially, and even
cited in the KLI FAQ, but I don't think anyone even
remembers it existed anymore, because there simply
is no authority in Klingon except Okrand. People
come and go, there is no institutional memory, no
central authority or clearinghouse, so the same
old battles arise again and again.

Any site you try to set up, any concensus you try to
build, will last only until the next newbie who hasn't
seen that site.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level