tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 02 07:54:29 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhob (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, January 1, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   tlhob
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     ask, request plead

Used in canon:

   qatlhob
   I ask you. STC:KLS

   lutlhob <<naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?>>
   They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

   juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
   I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship.
   ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
    commander of this ship.") KGT

>Additional Notes:
>TKD-A adds the meanings of "request, plead."

   In the original edition of TKD, we have {tlhob} "ask". The addendum
   gave it the expanded meaning of "request, ask, plead". Now KGT gives
   us {ghel} "ask (a question)". Which one do we use as a verb of saying,
   and why? Is there a proper way to use either or both in a non-saying
   way?" (ghunchu'wI')

   What I wanted to do with {tlhob} and {ghel} is to distinguish between
   two different meanings for the English verb "ask". There are two "ask's".
   There's the "ask" where you ask a question and there's "ask" where you
   make a request. I wanted it to be two different verbs, though apparently
   there are times when the "request" verb is used to ask a question as
   well [e.g. PK: {lutlhob <<naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'>>?] So maybe
   the way it works is that {ghel} can ask a question and only as a ques-
   tion and the other one can mean that and is also used to request or
   plead or something like that. (Marc Okrand, HQ 7:4)

Related verbs:

{qoy'} "plead, beg"; {poQ} "demand, require"; cf. {yu'} "interrogate"; ant.
{jang" "answer"

N.B. There are no known examples of {qoy'} "plead, beg" - perhaps not
surprising, as the action seems very un-Klingon!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level