tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 27 10:33:02 2007

Re: Topic (was: Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 9, 2007

McArdle ([email protected])

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

  >mIq'ey:
>>
>> qatoy'taH wa'ben 'e' vItagh
>>
>>This seems (to me) to mean exactly what we want it to mean. Are there
>>objections to it from a grammatical (or, for that matter, any other) point
>>of view?
>
>I like this, but the time-stamp should precede the verb:
>
>wa' ben qatoy'taH 'e' vItagh.
>"I began serving you (continuously) a year ago"

  But why?  The timestamp applies to the main verb:  it's the beginning, not the continuous service, that's located a year in the past.  (I.e., I see the meaning as "I serve you continuously; a year ago I began it", not "A year ago I serve you continuously; I began it.")  Although I've lost track of my copy of TKD (temporarily, I hope), I'm sure I've seen a number of examples of main clauses where an adverb precedes {'e'}.  Are these wrong?  Is there a special restriction on adverbials of time, parallel to the restriction on the use of aspectual suffixes?

  qavan

  mIq'ey