tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 13 08:58:19 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: pIH (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, February 13, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   pIH
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be suspicious

Used in canon:

   jIpIH
   I am suspicious (STC:KLS)

Cp. the idiom {qagh Sopbe'} "He doesn't eat gagh!":

   Everyone loves gagh, so if one is not eating it, something must be
   wrong. This expression is used to mean that there is something wrong
   with someone or that someone is acting suspiciously... For Klingons
   ... this is a rather mild dismissive remark, not a strong insult.
   (TKW 137)

Related verbs:

{nub} "be suspect"; {voqHa'} "distrust"; antonym {voq} "trust, believe
(in)" & {Har} "believe".

The Type 6 suffix {-law'} can sometimes be translated "I think that, I
suspect that".

>Homonyms:
>     pIH (verb) - expect

Used in canon:

   pIpIH
   We're expecting you. CK

Related verbs:

{loS} "wait (for)".

Cf. also {tuv} "be patient"; {lum} "postpone, procrastinate"; {mIm} "delay"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level