tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 18 13:28:08 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

In a message dated 12/18/2007 8:04:18 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Obviously,
> in "The restaurant where I ate" the restaurant is part of the relative
> clause and the main clause. "Where I ate" makes no sense without
> "restaurant".

I disagree.  "The restaurant" is not part of the relative clause.  The
relative clause is "where I ate".  It is linked to "the restaurant" by "where", but
that's all.  Relative clauses are not complete sentences, by definition.
Remove the relative pronoun (or its equivalent) from the relative clause, and you
should have a complete meaningful sentence.  The relative pronoun links this
complete sentence to a noun (or noun phrase) and modifies that noun.

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level