tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 14 16:52:59 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel, ja':
>I believe this sentence works according to the rules, albeit somewhat
>unexpectedly.

You've outlined a good argument here, so I won't requote it in detail
(otherwise I'll be here all week!). I just have a problem with using
{SoH 'Iv} as evidence for an anomalous word order here.

I see no problem with {SoH 'Iv} for the same reason as I see no
problem with {yIH nuq} "what is a tribble?". Okrand provided that
example in a post to the MSN newsgroup that "[q]uestion words (in this
case, nuq "what?") function the same way pronouns do in questions
with "to be" in the English translations" (MSN posting 12-12-1996). In this
case, the way I interpret it is that it isn't {SoH} that is acting as the
pronoun; it's {'Iv}.

Going back to the original thought, I've since had the idea that maybe
{naDev} could be shifted as an intentional ungrammaticality in order to
emphasise {naDev} ("I don't know HERE, I don't know THIS place where
I am"). Since we have an example of an adverbial shifted to post-object
position, also maybe for emphasis ({'e' reH lunIDtaH} "they always keep
trying that" from S26, where an emphatic reading is also supported by
the illegal {-taH} on a verb following {'e'}), perhaps such shifting
sometimes happens for time and location stamps as well - which, for all
intents and purposes, function essentially as adverbs do anyway.

That's just an alternative analysis, and it might not be right; your
explanation works just as well. Further, yours might explain why {-'e'}
must, in {ta' Hol} at least, appear on the subject of a copulative
construction when there's an explicit subject present. If there were
some hitherto undescribed rule whereby the "copulative noun" (to use
your terminology) *was* able to appear sentence-finally, then it would
be necessary to use {-'e'} on the subject in order to keep it
grammatically separate from the copulative. Otherwise ??{ghaHtaH
HoD pa'Daq} could mean either "the captain is in the room" or "he is
in the captain's room". ??{ghaHtaH HoD'e' pa'Daq} (= {pa'Daq
ghaHtaH HoD'e'}) clears the ambiguity nicely, because you can't have
a type 5 suffix on the first noun of a noun-noun construction.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI'
(Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute)

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level