tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 13 08:01:08 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: nov (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, December 13, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   nov
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be foreign, alien

Never used in canon.

Related verbs:

{Huj} be strange;  {jum} be odd

>Homonyms:
>     nov (noun) - alien, foreigner, outsider

Used in canon:

   loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
   Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

Discussed by Okrand:

KGT 153:  In time, the Hur'q came to symbolize any non-Klingon. Actually,
in Klingon, a Hur'q person would be {Hur'Iqngan}, while {Hur'Iq} refers to
Hur'q society or their homeland. This shorter word took on the slang
meaning of "outsider, foreigner". The standard term for "foreigner, alien"
is {nov}.

Trek trivia:

"You are an enemy alien. You will be under our scrutiny at all times."
(Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

Related nouns:

{nov DorwI'} "alien escort" CK [i.e. tour guide or official "minder"?]

Antonym:  {Sung} "native"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons