tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 11 03:02:49 2007

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Klingon WOTD: 'In (noun)

speersd (

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, December 11, 2007.

Category: Music

Klingon word:   'In
Part of Speech: noun 
Definition:     percussion instrument (drum, bell) 
Source: KGT (231 KE, 246 EK) 
Swedish: slaginstrument (trumma, klocka)

Additional Notes:
KGT p. 74.  There are a great many Klingon percussion instruments--that is, instruments that make a sound as a result of something striking something else.  Klingons seem to enjoy playing the percussion instruments more than instruments of other types.  Among these are various drums and bells.  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}.  Some types of {'In} are struck with the hand, either palm ({toch}) or fist ({ro'}), depending on the particular instrument.  To hit the instrument with the palm is {weq}; to strike it with the fist is {tlhaw'}.  Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind.  The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it does, it is termed {muqwI'Hom} (literally, "small striker").  A plain stick is a {naQHom} (literally, "small cane" or "small staff").  To strike the instrument with a stick is to {moq} ("beat") the instrument.  The {'In} itself may be made entirely of metal (in which case it might be described as a bell, though in Klingon it is simply termed {baS 'In}, or "metal {'In}") or entirely of wood ({Sor Hap 'In}, "wood {'In}").  One kind of {Sor Hap 'In} is a tube, open on both ends, with a longitudinal slit extending not quite to either end.  It is hit with a {muqwI'Hom}.  Drums made of animal skin stretched over a cylinder of various materials are found but are not as common as other types of percussion instruments.  Such a drum is called a {DIr 'In} (literally, "skin {'In}").  A {DIr 'In} usually has the skin stretched only over one end.  A type of drum with skin stretched over both ends is called a {'o'lav}.

The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej (  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.

--Holtej 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ

Back to archive top level