tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 10 05:24:25 2007

Re: Prefix and noun agreement (was: usage of type-7 aspect suffix {-pu})

In a message dated 12/9/2007 9:57:07 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> This idea of somehow indicating that a group can be identified as
> including a first or second person by using an explicit group noun
> (third person, since explicit nouns tend to be third person, unless
> they are proper nouns naming someone who happens to be first or
> second person) and then using a verb prefix that disagrees with that
> third person... That's not merely an unusual idea. It's just, well,
> wrong.

The whole discussion seems to hinge on whether ordinary nouns, especially
animate nouns, have person as an inherent category.  I don't think they do, so
using e.g. {tlhIngan} as the subject of a verb with a prefix indicating a first
or second person subject makes good sense to me.
It's also done in Spanish:  Los mejicanos somos... (We Mexicans are ...).

lay'tel SIvten
   </HTML>

Back to archive top level