tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 06 19:53:00 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Qang qu'wI' ([email protected])

On Dec 5, 2007 2:19 AM, QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> mujang Qang qu'wI', ja':
> >I'm really intrigued by this idea.  I don't fully comprehend the formal
> >linguistic terminology - but I can go do a little research on that and
> >then think through what you've said.
>
> qachuH. {{:)

DaH! bIval!

> "Dative" is is any argument that's characteristically expressed by the
> English preposition "to", as in "I gave it to him", "I threw it to him", "I
> did it to him". "Benefactive" is any argument that's expressed by the
> English "for": "I did it for him", "I threw it for him", "I gave it to him
> for her".

jIHvaD DachuHmo'  qatlho'.

> >I think that you're describing a way to switch between using the prefix
> >trick and -vaD in a manner that is sort of opposite of the way the
> >corresponding ideas are used in English.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

Just a flash of a thought, but I might try to use a general guideline that
if the 'prefix trick' works in English, I'd favor {-vaD}:

"You give the book to me." <--> "You give me the book."
"I'll pour a drink for you." <--> "I'll pour you a drink."

But if the English version produces poor grammar, I might use the prefix
trick:

"You start the engine for me." <--> "You start me the engine."
"You explain it to me." <--> "You explain me it."

Of course, I wouldn't do this in real-time speaking, since I don't want to
think about the English translation of what I'm saying, but I'll consider
introducing it in consciously-constructed little stories for practice
training ("ingraining" as I like to think of it).

(Rather than "you're describing a way", I should have said "you're
description inspires me to a way that I can".. or something similar.)

--
Qang qu'wI'

Back to archive top level