tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 30 08:27:47 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 22, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 09:40 PM Wednesday 8/29/2007, po'mIn wrote:

>{malja' ngaqwI'mey qep'a'}
>"Stockholder Meeting"

charghwI' has used *{jeSwI'} "participant" for member, e.g. {tlhIngan Hol
yejHad jeSwI'} "member of the KLI".

>pInqu':   {chuS'a' ghIlab ghewmey?}
>Big Boss: "Do we have any questions from gadflies?"

{-qu'} is a verb suffix; use the noun suffix {-'a'}.  If you don't like
{pIn'a'} "master", try {pIn tIn} "big boss".  (FYI *{pIntIn} was Glen
Proechel's fan name, which he also translated as "director".)

Perfect use of {ghIlab ghew} though.  <g>

>ghIlab ghew: {SochmaH cha''uy' bobajpu' 'ach Hut vatlhvI' wIlujpu'.
>Gadfly:     "You earned 72 Million dollars while our stock price
>             dropped nine percent."

If the Big Boss personally earned $72,000,000 then use the prefix {Da-}
"you (singular) [do something] to them";  if the Gadfly is referring to the
entire board of directors, {bo-} "you (plural) [do something] to them" is fine.

Also, 72 million what?  You omitted the unit of currency.  Might as well
use {DeQ} "credit" or just transliterate *{Dolar}.

{luj} is "fail, lose (not win)":

   To a Klingon, to win is to function perfectly [{Qapchu'}]. The opposite
   notion, "lose", is commonly {luj}, also meaning fail. (HQ 2.4:18)

   The slang expression is used in such constructions as {bIvonlu'pu'} ("You
   have failed completely"; literally, "You have been trapped"). In standard
   Klingon, the same idea may be expressed by saying {lujbej} ("certainly
fail"),
   {lujchu'} ("fail perfectly"), or {lujqu'} ("really fail"), all based on
   {luj} ("fail"). Note that {luj} is also used to mean "lose" (as in "lose at
   a game"). To say "I lose" is {jIluj}; to say "I lose in a big way" is
   {jIlujqu'} or {jIlujchu'}.  (KGT 165-66)

None of the known examples of {luj} take an object:

   lujpu' jIH
   I have failed. TKD

   lujpu' jIH'e'
   I, and only I, have failed. TKD

   bIlujlaHbe'chugh bIQaplaHbe'
   If you cannot fail, you cannot succeed.
   ("If you cannot lose, you cannot win"; i.e. Nothing ventured, nothing
gained). TKW

   wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
   "ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat." TKW

We also have {chIl} "lose, misplace" which I'm not sure is any better:

   tlhonchaj chIljaj
   May they lose their nostrils! TKD

Also 9 percent of what?  I admit "stock price" is tough.  How about
something like {malja'maj lo'laHghach} "the value of our business".  Other
verbs to play with include {lo'laH} "be valuable", {lo'laHbe'} "be
worthless", {wagh} "be expensive", {qutlh} "be cheap".

>ghIlab ghew:  quv DaHutlh ram bIQongDI'.}
>Gadfly:       How can you sleep at night?"

Usually the dependent clause is first, but it's not required.

{-DI'} is "when, as soon as".  There are too many examples to cite, but
this generally refers to a particular moment of time occurring (e.g.
{bIQongchoHDI'} "when/as soon as you fall asleep").  Use {-vIS} "while,
when, during":  {bIQontaHvIS} "while you are sleeping":

   bIQontaHvIS quv DaHutlh.

Hmm...  does he lack honor only when he sleeps?  You can translate it more
literally:

   qaStaHvIS ram chay' bIQonglaH?
   How can you sleep during the night?

Or combine the two ideas:

   quv DaHutlh!  qaStaHvIS ram chay' bIQonglaH?
   You lack honor!  How can you sleep during the night?

And, although it's not in the original, a Klingon would probably use an
appropriate epithet:

   quv DaHutlh!  petaQ, chay' bIQonglaH, petaQ?
   You lack honor!  P'tak, how can you sleep?

>pInqu':   {(tlhtlhtlh...)}
>Big Boss: "(zzzzz)"

FYI:  "To breathe even more noisily, or snore, is {wuD}."  (HolQeD 12.4:8)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level