tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 29 08:37:45 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 21, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

po'mIn wrote:

>     qab QeywI': {vaj qab pepmeH cha' Haqmey vItu'choH.}
>     qab QeywI': {'ej bong yaHwIj tlhoy'vo' vIleghchoHmoHbogh Haq'e'
> vIwIvpu'.}
>     qab QeywI': {vaj jItlhutlh 'e' vInID, 'ach vIlujqa'.}
>
>     Tight Face: "Then I found out there are two kinds of face-lifts."
>     Tight Face: "I accidentally checked the box for the kind that
>                  lets you see over the top of your cubicle."
>     Tight Face: "So I try to drink more, but that isn't working out
>                  either."

FYI:  There different Klingon adverbials can translate English "then":

   {ngugh}  "then (at that time)"
   {ghIq}   "then, and then, after that, by then, subsequently"
   {vaj}    "so, then, thus, in that case, [therefore]"

Since this is obviously the end of Tight Face's story, use {ghIq} instead
of {vaj} - at least in the first sentence.  Someone (I don't know who)
helpfully explained the differences:

   {ngugh} describes what happened at a time you have set in a previous
   sentence; {ghIq} describes an action that occurred subsequent to another,
   but that was not a result of or contingent on the prior action; {vaj}
   describes an action that is the consequence or result of another.

Okrand introduced {ghIq} in HolQeD 8.3:

   The adverbial {ghIq} means "then" in the sense of "and then, after that,
   by then, subsequently" and the like. It is used as in the following
examples:
      Soppu'.  ghIq tlhutlhpu'.
        He/she ate. Then (after that) he/she drank.
      wam chaH.  ghIq Soj luvut.
        They hunt. Then (after that) they prepare food.
      wa'leS maghob.  ghIq malop.
        Tomorrow we will do battle. Then (after that) we'll celebrate.
   It is possible to join the sentences with a conjunction such as {'ej}
   "and" or {'ach} "but":
      wam chaH 'ej ghIq Soj luvut.
        They hunt and then they prepare food.
      tlhoy Sop 'ach ghIq Qongchu'.
        He/she eats too much, but then he/she sleeps soundly.

{ngugh} was introduced on startrek.klingon (November 1999):

   There is an adverbial which means "then" in the sense of "at that time" (as
   opposed to "subsequently") ... The adverbial is {ngugh}. It is used mainly
   to emphasize that a particular event occurred at the same time as something
   else, though {ngugh} doesn't indicate what that time is. Something else in
   the discussion makes that clear. {ngugh} does not mean "at some (vague) time
   in the past" or "at some (unknown) time in the future.

The examples he gave then - {ngugh}! - were:

   vagh SanID ben buDbe' wamwI'pu'. ngugh Ho'Du'chaj lo' chaH, 'ach DaH
tajmey lo'.
   5,000 years ago, hunters were not lazy. Then (at that time) they used their
   teeth, but now they use knives.

   DungluQ tIHIv. ngugh Qongbe' chaH
   Attack them at noon! They won't be sleeping then.
   ("Attack them at noon. They're not sleeping then.")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level