tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 25 14:25:31 2007

Re: yuQ'e' DablaHbogh vay' tu'lu'pu''a'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> Subject: yuQ'e' DablaHbogh vay' tu'lu'pu''a'?
> >>
> >> I got stuck on "habitable" -- *{DablaHbogh} or *{yInlaHbogh}?

DloraH:
> > Wouldn't yIn need a locative?  With Dab the location is the direct
> > object.

Doq:
>yInlaHmeH yuQ 'oH'a'?

Also {DablaHmeH yuQ}.

>Segh M yuQ 'oH'a'?

A literal translation of "Class-M", first heard in TOS "The Cage/The
Menagerie" and explained there as "oxygen atmosphere - designation for
Earth-like planets".  Although we heard of other planetary classes (e.g.
Mudd's World was K-Type, "adaptable for humans by use of pressure domes and
life-support systems" [TOS "I, Mudd"]), the system was never really
explained but now appears to have been derived from the Vulcan
"Minshara-class planet" (ENT "Strange New World", "Civilization", "Dear
Doctor", et al.).  Of course, Klingons use a different system.

Fortunately, Okrand has already rendered this idea into Klingon as {yoq yIn
yuQ} "class-M planet" (lit. "humanoid life planet") from SkyBox S27:

    yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'.  yInSIp voQSIp je ngaS muDDaj.
    Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level